Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I'm breaking up with you...

Dear Dialysis Machine,
I'm breaking up with you. You have only one redeeming quality...you kept me alive for the last 4 and a half years. Other than that...you suck. Literally.
I hope you know that I will not miss you and I hope that all your future (and current) girlfriends break up with you too.
-Emily

 ONE MINUTE LEFT!

Today was my last treatment. It is amazing to write that and amazing to feel like a weight is lifted off my shoulders. Brian took me today and his parents and my parents both joined us for a celebratory send off. It sure did make the time go by quickly to have everyone there...and Brian's mom Carol rubbed my feet, which was awesome. I'm hopeful that there will be many foot rubs in my future!

You won't believe this irony...I've been freezing to death and complaining about how cold I am at dialysis - I have to pile large blankets on myself to keep myself from shaking. Well, today, we arrive and guess what is waiting in my spot? A brand new heated, massage dialysis chair. Yes. On my last day.
Ironic.

We got bagels and cream cheese for everyone and after my treatment, I left. It felt so good to walk out those doors. Didn't even look back. I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to know that I get to sleep past 5 a.m. I get to actually have a huge drink of water. I'll get to eat potatoes and cheese and drink milk and all kinds of wonderful stuff I couldn't have while on dialysis. All because a stranger is giving of himself to help make my life better. Its a truly remarkable thing.

Here is a little video we did: CHECK BACK - HAVE TO EDIT
Today is going to fly by - trying to wrap up work stuff and then packing up tonight.

I just feel so thankful. And happy.

Love and Kidneys,
Emily

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, here's hoping it goes as well as my daughter's transplant. She's had my 'Sidney' since September 2010, both are doing fabulous!

    ReplyDelete