Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Almost Three Weeks Out

Hello friends and family! I'm excited to report that I am feeling better than my last post. Pain has lessened to an annoying tingle and I'm able to move around much better. Getting up and down and in and out of bed is still slow and painful, but I have been able to do much more for myself (Brian's happy about this). I have been doing quite a bit more walking...I even walked over 100 meters yesterday. The longest yet. Now, the not so great news. Today I had my surgeon follow up. Everything is looking great, kidney working great and I'm healing up nicely. I've lost about 13 of the twenty pounds of fluid they put on me in the hospital. I was schedule to have the drain removed and I was so nervous they weren't going to take it out. This whole appointment filled me with anxiety because only tow outcomes would occur: a) they would tell me I had to leave the drain in or b) they took it out and I was nervous about that procedure (awful). Unfortunately they decided to leave the drain in. I broke down in tears. I just hate this thing so much...it is incredibly uncomfortable and painful and, to be honest, embarrassing. The doc and Brian both assured me that it is best to leave it in and in the long run, if it makes EK work better, than I'll be trooper. But I am taking this time to complain about it and I'm using today to feel sorry for myself. Tomorrow, I'll be courageous and stop complaining because I do believe that it's for the best. Doc told me they would take it out next Wednesday, but it's 4th of July, so they moved my appointment to Friday. So that's nine more days. I am definitely looking forward to a month from now, when I'll feel pretty close to normal. This has not been an easy road, but so very worth it. I feel so thankful for my NY donor and for the support of all my family and friends. Thank you every one! Love and Kidneys, Emily

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your body's being a good host to EK and that you are feeling better my dear! Your blog is a delight-- the good news, and even the aches and pains that go along with it. You are a trooper, and it is wonderful to be a witness to your repeated triumphs throughout this process.

    With lots of love! --Schaack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update - so glad to hear you can move around better now. You have been a fantastic trooper, going thru so much more than other people could. You are over the hump and on your way to the finish line. a few tears now and then only make you human. keep up your spirits, do what you have to do, and be proud of yourself everyday for your accomplishments! Thinking of you and wishing you all the best <3

    ReplyDelete